- Intro to Instagram Video Length
- Instagram Video Length Limits for Feed Video
- Tips For Longer Videos on Instagram
- Instagram Video Length “Hack”
- Instagram Video Length Limits for Story Video
- Instagram Video Length Limits for IGTV Video
- Instagram Video Length Limits for Live Video
Intro to Instagram Video Length
Instagram is quite possibly the world’s most popular social networking app. It’s a great way to share videos from your smartphone. Simply set up an Instagram account to post videos direct to your profile. All of your followers will see your video posts in their feed, and vice versa. Instagram is great for Android and iOS devices.
Let’s get started with everything you need to know about Instagram video limits. Actually, the length of Instagram videos varies according to the types of videos you are uploading. The requirements will differ based on the specific type of videos you are uploading, including IGTV videos, Instagram Story videos, Instagram Feed videos, and Instagram Live videos.
So, how long can a video be on Instagram? The answer depends on the type of video content you’re uploading.
- IGTV clips are restricted to 60 minutes. However, IGTV videos range from 15 seconds to 10 minutes for regular Instagram account holders. IGTV video files (4:5 minimum aspect ratio & 5.4 GB max video size limit) must be uploaded from a PC or Mac in MP4 format.
- Instagram Stories are limited to 15 seconds, but you can also create multiple clips which can be shared as combined stories longer than 15 seconds.
- Instagram Feed limits typically range from the 3 seconds minimum video length Instagram to 60 seconds maximum Instagram video length.
- Instagram Live broadcast limits are similar to Facebook Live, at 60 minutes maximum duration.
As you can see, Instagram video time limits vary according to the type of video you are uploading. If you’ve got the gift of the gab, you’ll love that Instagram live broadcasts with up to 60 minutes of talk time. IG video length does not commonly exceed 60 minutes. Remember though, Instagram video limits are not imposed in a haphazard way. Researchers pour over the numbers to ensure your videos are perfectly tailored to hit the mark with your audience.
If you’re looking to post a quick video, try the Instagram feed video option. You can share portrait-style videos, landscape-style videos, or even square videos in your feed. And remember, there’s a 60 second length limit. Instagram makes it possible to portray a landscape video as a vertical video.
Tip: Studies of Instagram video commentary indicate that the most popular videos averaged 26 seconds in length. Brevity matters vis-à-vis video length, given that our brains are capable of processing visual content 60,000 x faster than they are capable of processing text-related content. Viewers who watch the first 3 seconds of a video are most likely to finish watching the entire video clip. That’s what we call, hook, line and sinker…
Ready to learn some more about Instagram video limits? Let’s get this show on the road!
#1 – What is the Limit for Instagram Feed Video Length?
Instagram makes it really easy to upload videos to your Instagram Feed. Remember, you’re limited to 3 seconds – 60 seconds for Instagram Feed videos. Your feed is your Instagram profile – that’s the place where all of your activity is showcased.
If you want to upload an Instagram video longer than a minute, that’s fine, but only one minute of that video will be featured in your Instagram Feed. The good news is you get to choose which minute to showcase.
Let’s say you’re recording 2 minutes 20 seconds of video to upload to your Instagram feed. Once you’ve selected the video, you can edit it to prepare it for upload. Note that you’ll have to to use the ‘time bands’ to pick your preferred 60 seconds of video content.
Click the ‘Trim’ button and then drag your video left or right to get the best 60 seconds of video content to upload. As soon as you’re satisfied, click ‘Done.’
Want Longer Videos on Instagram?
- Try using Third-Party Apps such as Continual for Instagram. This splits up your Instagram Stories into 15-second video clips. Other apps such as Story Cutter and Story Splitter are equally effective.
- Check out the Carousel Post option listed below. It provides detailed info on how to improve Instagram stories length.
Try this ‘Instant Boost’ Instagram Video Length Hack
Now, it may happen that you’ve got more than 60 seconds of video content to upload. What do you do?
You’re in luck! Create a carousel post to upload multiple connected videos to your Instagram Feed.
This is a really exciting feature which allows you to post as many as 10 videos as a single ‘swipeable carousel.’ It’s amazing!
These take the form of Instagram albums which feature similarly-themed videos. This is a terrific option for users who don’t want to lose valuable content to a time restriction. It’s also a great way to see more content and not just the highlights of individual experiences.
Instagram developers understand that it’s really hard to upload and publish ‘the best video clip’, so they’ve made it easier to publish multiple videos as carousel posts.
Your followers will be able to swipe through each of these carousel video clips. Remember that there are still Instagram video limits in place, but you’ve got up to 10 videos in these carousel posts.
You’ll have to save sections of your video as stand-alone clips which can be sequentially uploaded in the same carousel posting. The option to include video carousel posts was introduced several years ago and is incredibly popular with users all over the world.
Quick Steps to Get Started with Instagram Carousel Post for Videos:
- Launch Instagram on your Android or iOS device
- Click on the ‘+’ icon and then tap ‘Select Multiples’
- Pick up to 10 videos you wish to include in your Instagram posting
- Try adding filters to your carousel posts on Instagram
- Click next and scroll through different videos to add individual filters, or simply use one filter for all videos
- Add a caption for your Instagram carousel video post (tag people in your Instagram video post)
- You’re done, enjoy.
#2 – What is the Limit on Instagram Story Video Length?
Want to know how long Instagram story video lengths are? Pretty short actually. 15 second limits apply to individual stories on Instagram. But here’s the good news – if your video is longer than 15 seconds, Instagram will automatically slice it up into 15-second segments for your convenience.
Instagram makes it easy to post videos up to 15 seconds in length as stories on top of an Instagram user’s app in the stories row.
Instagram Story videos are extremely popular with users. These videos offer twice as much length as photos (currently 7 seconds).
As a newbie, you may be surprised to find one of your videos cropped to fit the format of 15-second Instagram Stories.
There are many fantastic apps available to users to cut long videos into 15-second clips. Examples include Story Slicer, CutStory for Instagram, Storeo for Instagram and others.
Instagram Stories are otherwise known as IG Stories, and these video clips can be a maximum of 15 seconds, and they’re available for 24 hours.
If you’ve got a story to share and it’s longer than 15 seconds, Instagram gives you some leeway. It’s possible to maximize your Instagram story video length up to 60 seconds by uploading 4 x 15-second Instagram videos.
If the video you’re trying to upload is longer than 60 seconds, you can manually splice it with one of the apps we mentioned earlier, or simply do it on your camera roll. Instagram Story options also exist within the Instagram app on your iOS or Android device.
Increase Instagram Story Awareness
The goal is always to attract as much attention as possible. This can only be achieved if your stories are entertaining. If you add too many Instagram Stories, you may find that your audience will lose interest and move on.
When you use the Live Option, you can film as many as 10 x 15-second IG Stories in one shoot. The Instagram Stories play out on 1080 (width) x 1920 (height) dimensions. The stories are designed to maximize your mobile device’s screen real estate.
If you use another format for Instagram Stories, you’ll be pleased to know that Instagram automatically makes your videos fit your screen. Instagram also adds backgrounds, stickers, text, drawing options and margins to your videos. These are ideal ways to decorate your story. Once you’re happy with the end product, simply click ‘Send To >’.
The length of Instagram videos is standard, regardless of the format you are using to upload your video content.
The more appealing your Instagram videos, the greater the view count. As soon as a video has been watched for more than 3 seconds (minimum video length requirement) it counts as a view.
Done deal. Let’s move on to the next section.
Best Practices for Successful Instagram Story Posting
No doubt you want your story to hit the mark with your friends and followers. Once you’ve set the correct Instagram video time limit, you’re well on your way to making a big splash on social media.
To help you, we’ve put together a quick list of top tips to help you get more traction with your followers:
- Ensure that your profile is optimized for your audience. Set your profile to ‘public’ for the public and ‘private’ when restricting your content to your followers.
- Use stabilization techniques when filming video clips, such as a tripod.
- Pick out the best mic for your video broadcast. There are internal mics and external mics on Android and iOS devices.
- Put your best foot forward from the get go. That means publish your hottest stories first.
- Limit your story to a maximum of seven stories, no more. That’s the optimal length for 15-second video clips.
- Optimize with audio. Use sounds to ‘sell’ your story to followers. Let viewers know that your IG stories have audio with a ‘Sound On’ sticker.
- Increase user engagement by including #hashtags in your IG videos.
Now, let’s get to the mechanics of shooting Instagram Stories. You already know about the correct Instagram video length. The next steps in the process are a breeze. You have several options available including Hands Free (one-touch recording), Rewind (video replay in reverse), Focus (maintain focus on a face and blur background), Boomerang (looping video), Superzoom (focus on specific elements), and Live Video (live streaming).
Luckily, Instagram offers several ways to add video to your Instagram Story such as direct posting from your Android or iOS device, uploading directly from your PC or Mac, or simply using a Third-Party App.
A few IG Story commands to help you along the way:
- Swipe – This feature is available to IG users with more than 10,000 followers. By ‘Swiping Up’ you can instantly share your stories with followers.
- Skip – Tired of what you’re seeing? Skip it. Use this feature by swiping to the left.
- Skip – One tap gets you to skip to the next Story on Instagram.
- Pause – Instantly pause a story by tapping down on the screen with your finger. This is pretty helpful if there’s way too much text or you’re keen to examine an image.
Sound good to you? Let’s start sharing some of your magical stories on Instagram.
What About IGTV Video Length?
IGTV is Instagram TV. Anyone with an Instagram account can easily spot this cool feature in their account. Getting started with IGTV is pretty easy. You can upload HD, vertical videos in long form with your video channel. Of course, IG video length must meet the length requirements.
These videos must meet the minimum length requirement of 15 seconds and the maximum length requirement of 10 minutes.
Why post IGTV videos? IGTV is geared towards creating much more immersive content for Instagram users. If you have a verified account with plenty of followers, you will be able to enjoy up to 60 minutes of video length for IGTV.
Simply power up your Instagram app and click on the ‘IGTV’ icon on the top right of your screen. You will need to download the IGTV app and then you’ll be able to share longer videos (longer than a minute).
IGTV is geared towards vertical video, making it best for Android and iOS mobile devices. To upload a video, simply click on the upload button and choose a video from your gallery. You’ll be able to select the cover photo for your video.
Click ‘Next’ to continue. Add a title and description of the video and you’re golden. Don’t forget to choose create your channel. You can also share your video on Facebook. Click post to finish up.
Tip #1: You have the option to share your IGTV video in your feed, thanks to an innovative 1-minute trailer of your IGTV video. By allowing the IGTV preview (optional setting), your IGTV video will be available on your profile, and your Instagram feed.
Tip#2: Get the aspect ratio right for vertical video. This can’t be stressed enough. Smartphones shoot on 9:16 aspect ratios. Luckily, you don’t need to buy expensive software to fine tune your videos.
Tip#3: Check the stats. IGTV analytics will tell you how engaging your IGTV content is. You’ll be able to tell how many comments, likes, and views have been generated by your IGTV videos.
Instagram Live Video Length
Instagram allows registered users to post Live Videos direct to their account. Instagram Live Videos display real-time video content up to 60 minutes long. This is the Instagram video limit.
Once the Live Video Feed has expired, your followers will be able to replay the video for up to 24 hours after the recording. The Live Video features in your followers’ Instagram feeds.
Once you’re ready to share a live video with your followers on Instagram, you simply open up your Instagram app and go live. Instagram Live came hot on the heels of Instagram Stories.
These live broadcasts allow for lots of real time interaction with followers, and you can easily attract new followers too. Ready to go Live? Check out the stories bar on IG. Look for the word ‘Live’ emblazoned in the avatars. To watch a live stream, click on the avatar and you’re good to go.
Click ‘Your Story’ next to the + sign and tap your camera icon. There are lots of live video recording options such as Normal, Boomerang, Rewind, Hands Free and Live. Remember to click the ‘Live’ button and then ‘Start Live Video’.
Your IG Live broadcast will begin after a 3-second countdown. A notification will be sent out to all your followers, with a ‘Live’ badge displayed over your profile picture. You can end the live video at any time by clicking on ‘End’.