Anyone who runs a business page on Facebook knows how important it is to optimize any piece of real estate on it. From the title to the reviews, every small detail is crucial to potential customers’ first impression of you and your brand. The cover photo takes up almost half of the first scroll on your page, desktop and mobile. It has a prominent part in setting the tone for your whole page and telling your brand’s story.
As beautiful as your current cover photo is, we strongly recommend considering a Facebook cover video. Videos are not only attention-grabbing, but they also give you a few more precious seconds to introduce your brand. Considering the attention span of social media nowadays, a few seconds can mean the world!
While it looks super professional, the truth is, Facebook cover videos are super easy to create and set up. In this article we will cover:
- Facebook Cover Video Specs
- How to Upload a Facebook Cover Video
- Facebook Cover Video Tips + Tricks
- Facebook Cover Video Ideas
- How to Create a Facebook Cover Video with Magisto
After that, all that is left for you to do is to go ahead and create one!
Facebook Cover Video Specs
For your Facebook cover video to look its best, make sure you follow Facebook’s most recent requirements.
- Dimensions: A Facebook cover video should be a minimum of 820 x 312 pixels, and ideally 820 x 462 pixels. The aspect ratio should be 16:9. That being said, the video might still be cropped on different mobile devices, so keep your text centered. This way you’ll avoid important elements being cut off from the margins.
- Size: While Facebook doesn’t specify a Facebook cover video size, it’s recommended you’ll keep it under 1.75 GB and below one minute long. This way, you can rest assured that your cover video plays smoothly to anyone.
- File type and resolution: Facebook recommends you’ll upload videos in mp4 or MOV formats for best results. Maximum resolution is 1080p.
How to Upload a Cover Video
When you’re on your Facebook page, click on the “Add a cover button” that appears on the top left corner of the page. Then, click on “Upload photo/video.” That’s it! Your Facebook cover video is live and running.
Facebook Cover Video Tips and Tricks
Now that you know everything you need to know about how to upload a Facebook cover video, here are a few tips to help you make an excellent cover video that works for you.
- Make it a natural loop. Facebook will continuously play the video on a loop, so keep in mind that some users will start watching your video from the middle, and it should make sense to them. So, make the beginning and ending blend smoothly and make every frame count.
- Stay true to your brand. Your Facebook cover video should reflect your brand’s values, personality, and aesthetics. Please keep it simple and think of it as more of a tool to create a particular atmosphere on your page than a traditional ad.
- Be cropping-ready. Since you might have to drag your video to fit, or Facebook will crop it automatically, make sure the texts and images are center-framed.
- Stay relevant. Update your Facebook cover video from time to time, according to times of the year, campaign, or big news.
Facebook Cover Video Ideas
The ideal Facebook cover video shouldn’t overwhelm the viewer, but compliment the content on your page. Slow movements and relaxed colors will work better here than eye-popping graphics. See below for some ideas.
If you own a shop, restaurant, venue, or any business with a physical location, showing your viewers around can be a great way to introduce yourself and create a sense of familiarity.
Make your product come alive with a video that complements it – whether it’s clothing on a moving model or design accessories is in a house.
Leverage positive testimonials from happy customers. Create a video of moving text that will pop out to your potential customers as soon as they visit your business page.
How to Create a Facebook Cover Video with Magisto
Are you thinking of hiring a professional to create a Facebook cover video for you? Think again. Magisto makes it extremely easy to make one yourself, in minutes. Here’s how it’s done.
Step 1: Once you’re logged into your Magisto account, add the photos and videos you want to include in your video.
Step 2: Once you’re done selecting your media, click “Next.”
Step 3: Arrange your media, add text to each clip, and, most importantly, change your video’s ratio to landscape so it will fit as a Facebook cover video. You can also use the preset tool to use your brand’s color, font, and logo.
It is also recommended that you set the video’s duration to 30 seconds.
Step 4: Pick a style that fits your footage and your brand.
Step 5: Select music from Magisto’s licensed library or upload your own. Keep in mind most viewers will watch your video on mute. Then, click “Preview.”
Here’s your video preview! If you’re happy with the result, click “Save.” If you’d like to make some changes, click “Edit.”
Step 6: After your video is saved to your Magisto page, download it so you can use it on Facebook.
Step 7: Go to your Facebook page, click “Add a Cover” and choose “Upload Photo/Video.” The upload might take a minute or two.
Step 8: Once your video is uploaded, drag to reposition it, and select whether you want it automatically replay in a loop (we recommend you will). After you watch it and you’re sure it looks good, click “Publish.”
There you have it. Your Facebook cover video is out there for everyone to see!
Now, time to take what you’ve learned and put it into practice. Get started on creating your Facebook cover video now at Magisto.com.